Hey did you know the TBS Blues Challenge is not yet over? You still have a chance to enter your CD!
The Triangle Blues Society is now soliciting entrants for “Best Self- Produced CD” competition. Entrants must send TBS 4 copies of their self- produced CD for ranking by an independent panel of judges SELECTED BY Triangle Blues Society Board of Directors. TBS will the then be responsible for submitting the winning CD to the national selection panel selected by the Blues Foundation during the 2020 International Blues Challenge.
The deadline is coming up fast, click here for a pdf or just keep reading.
Announcing the Triangle Blues Society (TBS) 2020 Best Self-Produced CD Competition
IMPORTANT: Submissions MUST be received by TBS no later than October 28, 2019.
Instructions: The Triangle Blues Society is now soliciting entrants for “Best Self- Produced CD” competition. Entrants must send TBS 4 copies of their self- produced CD for ranking by an independent panel of judges SELECTED BY Triangle Blues Society Board of Directors. TBS will the then be responsible for submitting the winning CD to the national selection panel selected by the Blues Foundation during the 2020 International Blues Challenge.
What is the Best Self-Produced CD Award?
• In 2005, The Blues Foundation established an award for the Best Self-Produced CD, given out at the International Blues Challenge, as part of the mission to celebrate blues recording and to ensure the future of this uniquely American art form.
• Unlike the celebration of blues recordings and performances at the Blues Music Awards, or the recognition of up-and-coming musician performance via The International Blues Challenge, this award was created to recognize excellence in independent Blues recordings.
Best Self-Produced Official Rules:
• The CD entered may be recorded and performed by an act other than is entered in the current year’s International Blues Challenge.
• Compilations are not eligible.
• Only CDs released between November 1, 2018 and October 15, 2019 are eligible for consideration as the 2020 Best Self-Produced CD submission for TBS.
• A performer who has previously been nominated for a Blues Music Award (formerly the W.C. Handy Blues Award) shall not be eligible for this competition.
• A CD issued in the name of an otherwise eligible performer which also includes the contributions of a Blues Music Award nominee may be ineligible, depending on the extent of the contribution. Please contact The Blues Foundation directly to confirm eligibility.
• A CD on a record label that has been previously nominated for a Blues Music Award (formerly the W.C. Handy Blues Award) shall not be eligible for this competition.
• Singer, band, society or local producer may produce the actual CD as long as the performer is a singer, band or other individual entity.
• Recordings with established or “known” producers within the industry are eligible as long as the recording is on the artist’s independent label and not on an established national blues label. If a recording was produced independently but an established blues label has purchased the master for distribution, the recording is still eligible until such time as the established blues label releases the recording. – Only (1) CD is to be selected from the entries to represent the Triangle Blues Society at the 2020 International Blues Challenge. – The final results will be announced by The Blues Foundation at the finals of the International Blues Challenge on February 1, 2020, held at the historic Orpheum Theatre in Memphis, TN.
Evaluation Criteria: Judges will evaluate each submitted CD on the following characteristics. The criteria considered are listed in order of importance.
1. Blues Content
2. Musical Performance
3. Audio Quality and Production Value of the Recording
4. Professionalism and Visual Appearance of Cover Art and Design
5. Credits and Liner Note Information.
How to Submit:
1. Entrants must send the TBS 4 copies of their self-produced CD.
2. Enclose a business card or written list that includes complete mailing address, your contact name, phone number and email address.
3. Submissions MUST be received by The Triangle Blues Society no later than October 28, 2019 at the following address: Triangle Blues Society Best Self-Produced CD, PO Box 13208 Durham, NC 27709
If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. Once again, thanks so much!
Terri Robbins, IBC Liaison, Triangle Blues Society – 919.609.5530